What is Mild Stimulation IVF ?
- Published on June 07, 2022
Mild stimulation IVF is just like natural IVF, it also works around your natural menstrual cycle. In mild stimulation, some hormonal stimulation is needed to produce 1-10 eggs. The dosage of medication around mild IVF mild is lower than traditional IVF and the treatment takes around 2 weeks, including some days of medication. In mild stimulation IVF, doctors focus on collecting fewer but better quality eggs.
To summarise, minimal stimulation IVF is a fertility treatment that combines pills with a lower daily dose of injectable FSH medicine. The FSH medication is the same for low-dose cycles as it is for high-dose cycles (Menopur, Gonal-F, Puregon). A patient may inject between 125 and 450 daily units in the conventional IVF cycle but in a mild stimulation IVF cycle, the FSH dose is reduced to 75 to 150 units per day, depending on your individual protocol.
Who is the right candidate for Mild IVF?
Mild IVF would be a good option for women who wish to opt for a more natural procedure and do not want to consume too many medicines.
Mild IVF may be appropriate for:
- Couples in which the male is the one who can’t conceive
- Women with a low ovarian reserve
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome /Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome /Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Women who do not wish to inject too much medication into their body
Advantages of Mild IVF:
Mild IVF might be similar to natural IVF but there still remain differences in the number of stimulating drugs given.
- Reduced risk of OHSS
- Might reduce the risk of side effects from that of traditional IVF
- Mild response to the stimulating medication as the dosage would be at its minimum
- Women with low ovarian reserve
- Better quality eggs with mild stimulation
Disadvantages of Mild IVF:
With advantages come several disadvantages to the mild stimulation IVF. Below are some of the cons of mild stimulation IVF.
- Lower success rates as compared to conventional IVF
- Only a certain number of eggs are collected
- Fewer embryos are being transferred
- If the 1st cycle did not turn out to be a successful one, it might lead to more expensive treatment options
What’s the difference between conventional IVF, Mild IVF, and natural IVF?
- In conventional IVF, approximately 20-21 days of regular injections are given before the eggs are retrieved from the ovary.
- In mild stimulation IVF, only 7-10 days of daily injections are given before the collection of eggs.
- In natural IVF, no medication to 2-4 days of daily injections is given before egg retrieval.
Why and when to choose Mild Stimulation IVF?
For couples who want to go for an easier IVF approach, mild stimulation IVF may be an important step for them. When trying for the first time, mild stimulation IVF may be an easier and more affordable approach for women.
- Improved implantation
Mild stimulation IVF is used by couples who want to avoid taking high stimulation medicines since it may hinder implantation. Mild stimulation IVF helps to create a more favorable womb lining.
- Reduce the duration of the procedure
Mild IVF treatment takes only two weeks, which is much less time than traditional IVF treatment.
- There will be no hormone suspension
When compared to conventional IVF, there is no hormone suppression (downregulation) with Mild IVF.
- Safe for women
Mild IVF lowers the risk of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS).
- Excellent rates of success
Mild Stimulation IVF provides a high success rate while avoiding many of the side effects, difficulties, and expenditures associated with traditional IVF.
Every patient’s requirement is different when it comes to fertility and IVF. Not everyone would be comfortable getting multiple injections inserted into their body every day for approximately 20-21 days. Consult with Dr. Muskaan Chhabra, to know more about mild stimulation IVF and how it may be different from natural IVF and conventional IVF.
Does stimulation affect egg quality?
Stimulation does not affect the quality of the eggs but it might be uncomfortable for some to go through the stimulation injection process every day.
Can IVF drugs affect egg quality?
High doses of IVF drugs may or may not affect the quality of eggs. It is always recommended that the patients get all their testing done before continuing with the fertilization process.
Is Mild IVF better?
Be it mild IVF or natural IVF, it is always recommended to put a woman’s health first. In mild IVF, there are fewer medicines, fewer side effects, and a shorter treatment time but the success rates for both would differ.
How many eggs do you get with mild IVF?
In mild IVF, the doctor aims to produce approximately 2-10 eggs and for this lower dosage of medication is given for a shorter duration.
Dr Muskaan Chhabra
Fertility TreatmentsProblems with fertility are both emotionally and medically challenging. At Birla Fertility & IVF, we focus on providing you with supportive, personalized care at every step of your journey towards becoming a parent.
Male InfertilityMale factor infertility accounts for almost 40%-50% of all infertility cases. Decreased sperm function can be the result of genetic, lifestyle, medical or environmental factors. Fortunately, most causes of male factor infertility can be easily diagnosed and treated.
We offer a comprehensive range of sperm retrieval procedures and treatments for couples with male factor infertility or sexual dysfunction.